Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Kenyon Falls to Otterbein in NCAA Second Round

Kenyon Falls to Otterbein in NCAA Second Round

The Kenyon men's soccer team lost, 3-2, to Otterbein in the second round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament on Sunday, November 12, in Westerville, Ohio. The Lords finished the year with a record of 16-3-3, including their third straight NCAC Championship after posting a conference record of 9-0-0. Box Score

Kenyon controlled the pace early, registering the first four shots of the game before Otterbein rang up three straight goals in less than 20 minutes to take a 3-0 lead into the half. The three Cardinal goal scorers were Erick Juarez-Manning in the 24th minute, Gavin Koerner in the 32nd minute and Kohei Adams struck for his first of the year in the 43rd minute to close out the half.

The Lords came out pressing in the second half, tilting the field and finally broke through in the 75th minute when senior Woo Jeon (Madison, WI/West) scored off a header to the near post with assists from Greg McNeer (Winston Salem, NC/Forsyth Country Day) and Will Bennett (Katonah, NY/Somers). Continuing to press, Jeon scored his second of the game and sixth of the season, this time from Alberto Carmona (Katy, TX/Seven Lakes) and Bret Lowry (Evanston, IL/Evanston Township) to pull Kenyon within one goal with 10 minutes remaining. Despite holding a 19-6 edge in shots, including a 14-2 advantage in the second half, Kenyon could not find the equalizer.

With the win, Otterbein advances to face St. Thomas (MN) in the NCAA third round. Despite the loss, 2017 marks the fifth consecutive year Kenyon has posted 16 or more wins.

Read More: NCAA Bracket -- Otterbein Tournament Site


NCAA First Round Recap (11/11):

Sophomore Max Taylor (Chicago, IL/Saint Ignatius) scored his first career goal with just under two minutes left to play in the first half to lift Kenyon (16-2-3) to a 1-0 victory over Transylvania (17-2) in the opening round of the 2017 NCAA Soccer Tournament on Saturday, November 11, in Westerville, Ohio. Box Score | Photos 

The win sends Kenyon into the second round to square off against the host Otterbein Cardinals who defeated Medaille, 2-0, earlier Saturday. This is the fifth consecutive season the Lords have advanced to the second round and will face the Cardinals at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night at Memorial Stadium. 

Taylor's goal came with just 1:17 left on the clock in the first half following a Kenyon corner that was deflected by the Pioneer defense and came to Taylor who headed it back into the right corner of the net. 

In the second half, the Lords' defense swarmed Transylvania's offensive attack. Kenyon ended with a 18-5 edge in shots, including a 7-0 advantage in shots on goal. Senior Oliver Wynn (Natick, MA/Natick) led the Lords with four shots, while Taylor was credited with two.

Tomorrow's match against Otterbein will be the second meeting this season between the teams. Kenyon notched a 4-1 win against the Cardinals on September 6 in Gambier.

Read More: NCAA Bracket -- Otterbein Tournament Site